What To Do About Rats On Your Ogden Property
March 30, 2022 - Rats
Rats have been an age-old thorn in the side of man. From the bubonic plague to antiquated city streets teeming with filth, rats have managed to stick by our side. In the 21st century, rats are still a major problem worldwide. However, there is no reason to let these rodents overrun your property. With up-to-date knowledge and modern tools, you can protect yourself and your property from the rats found in Ogden.
How To Tell If It's Rats On Your Property
The main culprits in the Ogden area are Norway rats and their smaller cousins, the roof rat. Norway rats are fast, aggressive, and live low to the ground or beneath the ground. These rats tend to infest basements and crawlspaces. Roof rats, inversely, are skinny and more docile. They are great climbers and prefer to live higher up. They tend to infest roofs and attics.
There are many ways to tell if you have rats on your property:
- Sightings. The most obvious sign is spotting a rat on your property, regardless of whether it is dead or alive.
- Droppings. Finding droppings is a dead giveaway that rats have been by. Fresh droppings will be moist and dark, while older droppings will be ashen in color. Rat droppings can be found near food sources, next to baseboards, and piled in corners.
- Gnawing. Gnaw marks are another common sign of rat activity. Rats have massive incisors that never stop growing, meaning they need to continuously gnaw and chew to keep their teeth shaved down to a manageable size. Rats can chew through cinderblocks, wood, plastic, aluminum, and lead.
- Chewed Wiring. Chewed wires and faulty electrical could be a symptom of a rat infestation. Rats tend to chew into walls and chew through wires. They have even been known to cause electrical fires.
- Nests. Rats often shred paper and cloth to build their nests.
- Noise. Hearing strange noises can be a dead giveaway of a rat’s presence. Shuffling noises within walls can sometimes be heard as rats chew and traverse the inner workings of your home.
If you suspect you have a rodent problem, our team at Peak Pest Control can inspect your property to determine the extent of the infestation and how we can go about resolving it.
The Dangerous Diseases Rats Are Capable Of Spreading
Although rats can indeed cause a lot of property damage, the real threat they pose is to your health and the health of your loved ones. Rats frequently cause food poisoning by contaminating the food they contact. They are vectors of many diseases and parasites that can be passed onto humans such as rat-bite fever and typhus via fleas.
In the United States, rat-bite fever is caused by the bacteria Streptobacillus moniliformis. This bacteria is passed through the saliva during a bite from an infected rat or through the urine and droppings of an infected rat. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, and rash. In some cases, rat-bite-fever can lead to an infection of the organs and death.
Flea-borne typhus is caused by the bacteria Rickettsia Typhi. Rats are common hosts for fleas and common carriers of this bacteria. When a flea drinks the blood of an infected rat, that flea contracts typhus and can then spread it to a human host. The symptoms of flea-borne typhus include fever, chills, cough, stomach pain, and loss of appetite.
Why You Shouldn't Try To Get Rid Of Rats On Your Own
It can prove dangerous to try and rid your Ogden property of rats on your own. Rats are fast and can show aggression if they feel cornered. It is best to avoid any bite risks to mitigate your chances of catching one of the many diseases that rats carry. Furthermore, rats are prolific breeders. If not handled properly, an infestation could burrow deeper into your home and continue to breed without you even noticing.
The Safe And Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rats
The safe and effective way to get rid of rats is to work with a professional. An expert pest control company, like Peak Pest Control, can ensure that your home is properly treated against rats safely and quickly. Our team at Peak Pest Control is available to serve our local community and keep Ogden residents feeling comfortable in their homes. Give Peak Pest Control a call today for effective rat control services in Ogden or the surrounding area. to care for your pest control needs.