The Best Way To Keep Ants Away From Your Ogden Property
June 30, 2022 - Ants
Ants are common pests on Ogden properties, but no one wants to see these tiny invaders in their home. If you're looking for ant pest control near you, look no further than Peak Pest Control. We pride ourselves on offering reliable and effective pest control in Ogden. Our customers are our top priority, and we offer our services within 24 hours of your phone call. Whether your ant problem is small or large, in your yard or inside your home, we can help.
The Types Of Ants You Could Encounter In Ogden
In Utah, there are several types of common ants, but typically, homeowners see two types. The pavement ant and the carpenter ant are the most common ant species we see inside homes and on residential properties.
The ants you're most likely to encounter in Ogden include:
- Pavement ants: Pavement ants are small, shiny, and black, and are the most likely to ruin a picnic. Outside, they often live under sidewalks, stones, and pavement. If pavement ants find their way into your home, you’ll most likely see them scavenging in your kitchen, but you’ll find their colony home underneath floorboards or in the walls.
- Carpenter ants: Most carpenter ants are matte black, but they can have tints of red and orange on their body. Compared to pavement ants, they are two to three times larger. These pests build their nests inside wooded areas often where there is already decay already present. Unlike termites, carpenter ants do not eat wood, but they do burrow into it.
- Harvester ants: Harvester ants are aggressive red ants that do well in the hot, dry climate of the southwestern United States. If their nest is threatened, they will attack in large numbers and sting whatever danger is present. Their stings can leave large welts, cause headaches, and in severe cases, trigger an anaphylactic episode.
- Field ants: Field ants are also called giant ants and can be confused with carpenter ants. Field ants, however, are paler in color than other species, sometimes translucent, and can be yellow, red, and black. Field ants do not sting as red ants do, but they can deliver a painful bite that can be irritating to your skin.
- Velvety tree ants: Velvety tree ants thrive in the arid regions of the southwestern United States and Mexico. They have brown and black markings and earned their name due to the velvety underside of their abdomen. These ants most often make shallow homes in decaying wooden structures, which they will defend if threatened.
Harvester ants, field ants, and velvety tree ants can be extremely bothersome in the yard, but they are not typically found inside homes. However, pavement ants and carpenter ants in Ogden commonly show up in residents' homes. Luckily, there are steps that can be taken to keep ants away from your Ogden property.
Getting Rid of Ants In Your Yard And Home
Ant control solutions start with ant control in your yard, before they find their way into your home. Being aware of the pest activity in your yard will help you defend your property against damage, and you against unknowingly trespassing into their space.
Steps you can take to avoid an ant problem include keeping food prep areas tidy and waste properly contained and disposed of in a timely manner. Also look for physical barriers you can reinforce or replace, like degraded weather stripping and broken sills of your home and shed windows.
Total Ant Control For Ogden Residents With Peak Pest Control
If you're dealing with ants in your Ogden home, don’t worry; there is quality ant control near you. At Peak Pest Control, we pride ourselves on complete effective ant control, offering your choice of services for comprehensive coverage. We value our customers and their safety and offer EPA-approved treatments and professional services to protect you, your home, and your family.