A Helpful Spider Prevention Handbook For Ogden Homeowners
April 20, 2022 - Spiders
Spiders in your Ogden home are a concern; just the thought of these creepy creatures, with their eight hairy legs and multiple eyes, sharing your beloved home with you and your family, sends shivers up your spine. You’ve heard stories about spider bites and how they may be deadly in some cases, so ridding your home of these pests is a top priority. Learn what kind of spiders inhabit the area, which ones have the worst bites, and how Peak Pest Control, the most effective and reliable Ogden pest control in the area, can get these frightful critters out of your home and keep them from coming back.
The Types Of Spiders That Can Invade Ogden Homes
Ogden is home to a wide array of spider species. There are many types of spiders that can find their way into your home, but here are the most common in the area:
- Black widow spiders
- Brown recluse spiders
- Hobo spiders
- Wolf spiders
- Jumping spiders
The biggest sign that you may have a spider infestation is noticing an abundance of spider webs, though some spiders do not build webs and prefer to chase down their meals. Black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, and hobo spiders all use webs to ensnare prey; wolf spiders and jumping spiders are fast enough to chase down their prey without the use of webs. Regardless of their methods, if any of these spiders in Ogden start infesting your home, partnering with a professional Ogden pest control company is the best way to eliminate them.
Some Spiders Bites Are Worse Than Others
Getting a spider bite will not give you special powers; the only thing it will give you is pain and an uneasy feeling of not knowing how adversely it will affect you. Bites from the spiders native to Ogden have varying levels of potential health risks:
- Hobo spider bites cause only mild pain and redness.
- A bite from a wolf spider, although rare, is very painful, but its venom is not harmful to humans.
- The venom from a brown recluse spider bite can cause severe allergic reactions in humans.
- The black widow spider produces bites that can cause muscle aches, nausea, and difficulty breathing.
- Jumping spiders may look like black widow spiders, but their bites are not as harmful and will mainly cause redness, itching, stinging, and swelling.
The best practice upon being bitten by any spider is to closely monitor the results; if any major symptoms appear, it is crucial to seek medical attention and, if possible, bring the spider to the doctor for proper identification and treatment.
Six Eco-Friendly And Effective Spider Prevention Tips
Since all spiders are constantly on the lookout for their next meal, keeping them out of your home is dependent on keeping other insects out as well. Here are six eco-friendly prevention tips that will make your home less attractive to these arachnids and their prey:
- Repair leaky pipes, clogged gutters, and dripping hoses that could provide spiders and insects with a source of water.
- Repair roof damage and keep caps on chimneys.
- Keep your grass and shrubs cut short and keep bushes away from your home’s exterior.
- Eliminate clutter, both inside and outside your home, that can offer gathering areas for all spiders and bugs.
- Repair cracks in your home’s foundation and exterior walls.
- Place a motion sensor on outdoor lights to keep them off when not needed; these lights attract insects, which attract spiders.
These tips will go a long way in keeping spiders in Ogden out of your home, but if an infestation does occur, working with a professional spider control service that knows all about spiders and their habits will be the best way to get rid of spiders and keep them out.
Contact Peak For Total Pest Control For Your Ogden Home
Partnering with the best pest control in Ogden to get rid of spiders and any other pest is an easy choice. Peak Pest Control is locally-owned and locally-operated and has been providing pest control in the Ogden area since 2013. Our top priority is protecting you and your family; we only choose products with the highest EPA safety ratings. These are designed to give maximum protection in low-risk product solutions. We understand the trust we are given to protect your household and want to give you peace of mind in the process. Our highly trained service professionals are experts in spider control and will work with you to remove whatever types of spiders or other pests you are having a problem with. Reach out to us today for your free quote.