A Helpful Ant Prevention Guide For Ogden Homeowners
September 10, 2022 - Ants
Are you starting to see ants wandering around your home? Perhaps you have even seen long trails of them marching across your floors. An ant infestation is a frustrating problem, but it is something that most Ogden homeowners will experience at some point. Taking the time now to learn how to prevent and get rid of ants can save you a lot of time, energy, and money down the line. This is your guide to Ogden pest control and prevention for ants.
Characteristics Of Common Ants
All ants share some key characteristics: they have three main body regions, six legs, and two antennae; they’re also all relatively small. Ants are social insects that live in large, complex colonies.
Here are a few of the most common species of ants in Ogden:
- Argentine ants: These ants are brown and around ⅛ inch long. They often travel in wide trails up the sides of trees and buildings.
- Pavement ants: These small, black ants are around 1/10 inch long and are commonly found under or around sidewalks, driveways, or other paved areas.
- Sugar ants: Sugar ants are attracted to sweet foods and will infiltrate your home in search of a food source. They are brown and around ¼ inch long.
- Carpenter ants: These large ants are most often black, but can also be brown or red. They chew through wood to excavate nests and can cause property damage.
Ants can enter your home through tiny spaces or gaps around doors, windows, flooring, and utility ports. You should seek expert help when you observe ant activity in your home.
An Ant Infestation Can Cause Many Problems In Your Home
Ants are obviously less than welcome in our homes, but they can sometimes cause problems beyond a simple nuisance. While most ants are not a medical risk to humans, they can potentially contaminate food or surfaces with bacteria.
Carpenter ants are a particularly problematic local species. Over time, these ants can cause damage to the wooden structures and elements of your home.
No matter what type of ant you have in or around your home, it is in your best interest to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Five Easy And Effective Tips To Prevent Ants In Your Home
Ants can be difficult to prevent, but there are certain measures you can take to help avoid an ant infestation. To deter ants on your Ogden property, follow these five tips:
- Seal holes in foundations, doors, windows, and utilities. Replace any torn door sweeps and weatherstripping.
- Have leaks repaired as soon as possible and reduce humidity.
- Clean the kitchen with detail, do the dishes regularly, and put food and garbage in containers with secure lids.
- Remove any dead trees or decaying wood from your property.
- Keep vegetation and tree branches away from the exterior of your home.
Incorporating these tips can help mitigate ant problems on your property. If an ant infestation does occur, be sure to contact Peak Pest Control for quality ant control solutions.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your Home For Good
If you want to get rid of carpenter ants or any other species, rely on us at Peak Pest Control. We have effective treatments that have the highest safety rating from the EPA. Some of our ant control solutions are power spray barriers, granules, and spot applications. Don’t put up with ants in your home – call us today for a free quote!